Wednesday, December 23, 2020

My Favorite Christmas Memory

 One of my favorite Christmas memories was when I was about 5 years old.  We were living in Ruidoso, New Mexico and were waiting for family to arrive for the holidays.   Mother had decorated the house beautifully and we made candies and cookies to share with friends & neighbors.

My sisters & I were anxiously awaiting the arrival of my grandfather, aunts & cousins.  We were so excited and I remember watching out the window for the car lights announcing that they were here.  I saw the lights first and the three of us ran to the door to greet them.  It was so exciting because their car was loaded with gifts for us.

My grandfather was a carpenter and he had made us a table with 4 chairs and a cabinet for us to play with.  It was like Santa arrived early.  Just as we were unloading all the gifts it began to snow.  Beautiful heavy snow started to cover the ground.  It was truly magical.  The laughter, hugs & kisses were abound.

I am not sure where we were all going to sleep but normally the children slept on pallets on the floor and the adults got the beds.  We had a small 3 bedroom house with one bath and yet there was never a thought or concern about everyone having a place.  

The next night was Christmas Eve and we all had a nice dinner then the real Santa arrived to bring gifts.  He came into the house with a HoHoHo.  I can feel the excitement now 72 years later as I reflect on that special time.    

I wish for you a Merry Christmas this year filled with the joy and magic of looking through a child's eyes.  Just allow yourself to focus on the Present with love and gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment