Friday, September 13, 2019

Lemonade

Today is my first birthday without my husband of 55 years.  As the day approached I started feeling very sad that he was no longer here to surprise me on my birthday.  My children planned a dinner party for me and bought me gifts but there was still an empty spot and feeling as the day approached.

So I decided to start a new tradition in my life.  I bought a piece of jewelry for Bobby to give me and had it wrapped so I could open it on the morning of my birthday.  I found a birthday card he had given me previously and put it with the gift on the breakfast table so I could open both and start my birthday off right.

I am so glad I had the foresight to do this.  It truly re-framed what might have been a very sad day.  Rather than feeling sad I was happy that I was now taking care of myself.  I told my sister about it and she said, "So when life gives you lemons you just make lemonade." 

Today is a good day and I will continue to take the responsibility to make all my days the best that I can.  Actually no one else can really make us happy it is all up to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment