Saturday, August 22, 2015

Don't React Angrily to Anger

Don’t react angrily to those who are angry
Don’t become violent over violence
Don’t become fearful over other’s fears
Don’t become unjust over things that may not be just in our world
Don’t hate those who are hateful
Don’t be rude to those who are rude
Don’t become envious over others envy

For in doing so you are further promoting the things you wish to prevent. 
A few years ago I read something like this and I have tried to find it but cannot so I decided to write it myself.  It has been on my mind so much lately that when we see things in the world that we don’t like we tend to act the same way about it and yet hope to change it.  We know that change doesn’t come about if we continue the same behavior.  

My hope is to reinforce the behaviors and beliefs that bring the results I want and to let go of those that aren’t working for me. 

I love the Prayer of Saint Francis that says:
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred let me sow love,
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
Lord may I not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love;. 
Because it is in giving that we receive and in pardoning that we are pardoned.


No comments:

Post a Comment