Thursday, February 27, 2014

Learning to Be

I often find myself thinking about what I need to do today and yet I am not motivated to do anything.  I am becoming more aware of the need to be rather than to do.  In the Bible and all ancient books of wisdom they refer to the importance of stillness and silence.  One of my favorite scriptures says "Remember the lilies of the field they toil not neither do they spin."  Another is "Be still and know that I Am God."

I remember when my mother was in the late stages of Alzheimer's disease and we sat and held hands for a long time.  There was really nothing we could do and it felt so good just to sit and hold her hand.  We were totally in the present moment and that time was precious.  It reminded me of when I held my babies as if there was nothing in the world that was more important than that moment.

The precious present.  A time to be and do nothing.  The quiet stillness that has so many answers for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment