Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Being Thankful

The last few months have been a time of thankfulness and gratitude for me.  I was not always so aware how much I appreciated others but when I was unable to take care of myself during my recent illness and was so dependent on having people take care of me and do for me, I was very grateful.

I heard myself saying "thank you" over and over again and I meant it from the bottom of my heart.  I truly appreciated all the help I received to help me turn in bed, get up, bathe, eat, walk and many other things that usually come second nature to us all.  It is difficult when we can no longer care for ourselves but I was overwhelmingly grateful that there were professionals, family and friends who were ready and willing to help me.

Our lives are so full of wonder and joy.  I have been given the opportunity to look at life differently and I notice that I am much more retrospective.  I keep working hard on my therapy and while I am stronger and more capable every day, I am still conscious of how it feels not to be strong and able to care for myself.  Therefore I continue to be thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment