Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother

Today is Mother's Day and I stop to think about who I can call to wish a Happy Mother's Day.  My mother, aunts and grandmothers are all gone so I call my sisters who are the ones who have know me and loved me the longest.  Our mothers are the keepers of our history and when they are no longer living we lose a part of ourselves. 

I think of my mother often when I am happy or sad, or even when something good happens.  I always knew that whatever happened in my life was important to my mother.  We all need to know that we are important in someone's life and that they care about what happens to us.  Now those responsibilities go to my husband, son and daughter.  They all care about my day and want to know I am well.

My mother was the one who taught me to have courage and to stand up for myself.  She was a strong woman, barely 5 feet tall but full of energy and vitality.  She made me feel like I could do anything I wanted to in life and I am grateful for that.  I have never been afraid to travel alone or make decisions for myself and I appreciate having that ability. 

There are times when I am faced with challenges that I wish I could curl up in her arms and be comforted.  However, when I think of her I am reminded of her strength and it encourages me to find that strength within myself.  I am thankful for the example she set for me as a mother and while not perfect she allowed me to realize that I would not be perfect either.  All any of us can do as mothers to our children is to do the best we can with whatever knowledge and ability we have at that time.  We all do the best we can with what we know and hope and pray that it is right. 

So this is for all the mothers who stay up at night when children cry, take up for children when they have been wronged and hold them responsible when they do wrong themselves.   To mothers who are there when the grandchildren need wisdom and guidance and who hold their children steadfast in their prayers that every day they will be safe and strong.  Thank God for mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment