Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother

The other day a friend asked me if I dream about my mother. I told her that I rarely do but as I answered her question I reflected on how often I think of Mother. It was actually quite profound to realize that she is constantly part of everything I do. It is not a conscious thought but a deep realization that who I am and what I do is due to what she represents in my life. Mother taught me to be confident and independent. When I travel alone I am grateful to her for giving me the courage to know that I can take care of myself. She taught me to "Pay it Forward,"by telling me that we rarely have the chance to repay a kindness but can always be kind to the next person who needs our help. She had strict rules about customer service, we often call them "Granny Dema's Rules" because she said to focus on your customer,don't chew gum and always stand up and greet them. She was a true friend and said you never say to a friend in need,call me if you need something but go to their home and see how you can help. It might be sweeping the floor or washing the dishes but there are always simple ways to help. She taught me to believe in myself and to question what others think I should believe. So I reflect, do I think of Mother? I see her in the strength of my children and in the ability to have confidence and faith in what we do. I see her in the days that I pick myself up and go forward even though I may not feel like it and I see her every day in myself and for that I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. What a tribute to your Mom. I too feel Mom's influence in my daily life.

    ReplyDelete