Monday, February 20, 2012

Remember Who You Are

I was at a conference last week and heard a great speaker talking about how his father and grandfather had influenced him in his early years.  He remembered as a young man that whenever he started to go somewhere his grandfather said to him, "Remember who you are."  That has such a special meaning and so I told my grandsons who are 12 about it.  I asked them what it meant to them when I said remember who you are.  Their responses were, don't be stupid, don't get drunk and so on. 

We discussed that it also means to consider who you are in relation to your family, friends, community, etc.  The deeper meaning of that question is that who we are is never just about us but is about the bigger picture of all those who love and care for us.  It reminds me of the song "No Man Is an Island."  It goes no man is an island, no man stands alone, each man's joy is joy to me each man's grief is my own; we need one another so I will defend, each man as my brother, each man as my friend. 

I hope I remember to continue to ask and get my grandchildren to remember who they are!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment