Friday, July 22, 2011

Floating

I read something by Mark Nepo that said when we stop struggling we float. Many times I picture myself floating to go into a relaxed or meditative state. I feel myself lying on my back with the sun shining on me and all is well. I am actually not a good swimmer so floating does not come easily for me but in my imagination it is wonderful.

The key to floating is that you have to relax and trust that the water will support you. If you struggle and flail about you will sink but even when you sink if you relax again you will float. This represents an important analogy about life. The struggle or doubt will pull us down but the faith will allow us to float once more.

The essence of trust is believing you will be held up if you let go. No matter how hard I try to make things happen in my life they only manifest when I release the fear, have faith and believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment