Thursday, July 21, 2011

Letting Go

I don't know how many times in my life that I need to re-learn the lesson of letting go. It is far to easy for me to get deeply involved in helping someone else to the point where I can no longer see clearly how to help. I was speaking to a friend and spiritual advisor today and he told me that I can't help anyone else by getting in the quicksand with them. It will merely pull us all down. He said he noticed that I had some sand between my toes. That was probably a kind way of saying what someone else goes through is really none of my business.

My heart and my intention is mostly to spare the other person the pain and anguish but what right do I actually have to prevent them from their own experiences and lessons whether they be good or bad. The greatest honor we can pay another is to empower them to solve their own problems. It is like teaching them to fish rather than giving them fish.

I am empathetic and can sense what is going on with others but my lessons is to let go and not feel the need to fix them. I am usually pretty good about that but when I see pain and sadness I feel the tug to take it on. I know that there is a sense of freedom in letting go so for today I will intend to honor my friends and family by believing in their divine ability to heal themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment