I was blessed to have my mother because she set a good example for me and stood by me whenever I needed her. It is wonderful to have someone in your life who will come to your aid when you need them and stand by when you don't. I knew she believed in me and she taught me to be strong.
The mother child relationship is a miracle to begin with. To have that child grow inside you and then force it our so it can grow and learn to stand on its own is incredible. When my children were born I felt that it was the greatest event that ever happened on this earth. Women are given that wonderful opportunity to experience miracles first hand as we birth a child. That is probably why we are so drawn to new babies because they are like anchors to our own experience and when we see them we are able to tap into that wonderful feeling once again.
So today I want to pay tribute to mothers:
- For giving her child that last bite of food when she is still hungry
- For staying up late at night to sew a new dress for that special occasion
- For rocking a sick child all night when she can barely hold up her head from lack of sleep
- For sending money to college when she needed it to pay the rent
- For making us believe we were special
- And for all the other sacrifices that mothers make to assure that our lives are better.
Written on Mother's Day 2011.