Saturday, May 7, 2011

For or Against

Have you noticed how devisive our world has become?  We are constantly being asked to be for or against an issue, a person or belief.  There is the perception that if you are a Republican you don't agree with Democrats or if you like what one party represents that you have to buy the whole package.  I have found it to be much the same with religions.  There is an assumption that you can't believe in all religious practices you must be either Christian or Jew, Catholic or Methodist, etc. but rarely do we hear people professing that they believe in all religious practices and beliefs.

One time I went to a presentation where the speaker encouraged us not to agree or disagree with what he said and to merely consider without making a decision.  I also had a friend tell me that when I am learning about something new to consider it as research without accpting or denying what I am learning.  I have found those things to be very valuable in my life.  When we make a judgement or decision about any topic we stop taking in information and have denied ourselves the additional learning that is available. 

Imagine how freeing it would be to allow ourselves to look at the world as the observers that we are and consider all to be merely interesting.  It is neither right nor wrong, good or bad it just is.  So I propose that we might all be a bit Democrat / Republican, Christian / Jew, Liberal / Conservative, and a mixture of all the good and bad and yet gloriously unique.    

No comments:

Post a Comment