Tuesday, March 29, 2011

This Too Shall Pass

When my mother was faced with adversity she would say, "This too shall pass."  I think this gave her courage and she was a very courageous woman.  We often get bogged down in the problems that are presenting themselves at a certain point and time but if we remember this phrase it does give us power to go on.

Everything in life flows like water in a river.  Sometimes it is deep and fast and other times it is slow and easy.  It is up to us to adapt to the flow and not resist it.  Remember the song we sang as children?  "Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream."  This is actually a very spitirual song and true to life.  Row row, row, your boat not my boat and gently or easily down the stream.  Don't try to row upstream or do things the hard way.  Merrily, having fun while you are doing it.  Row merrily and have fun while you are working or rowing and don't take it too seriously since life is but a dream.  This is really good advice.

Even when adversity comes and causes us to be anxious or fearful, remember that it is only temporary and it will pass.  We can deal with the present because it will pass.  Today I was anxious about some things at work and yet as the day passed I was able to get things done that I was worried about and the anxiety left.  It is comforting for me to remember my mother's words, "this too shall pass."

No comments:

Post a Comment