Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Surrender

There are so many times in life when we are faced with wanting something very badly and the more concerned we are with it the farther away it seems.  I remember hearing Oprah talk about how badly she wanted to be in the movie, The Color Purple.  She said she was obsessed with it and was making herself sick over wanting it so much.  She kept waiting for Steven Spielberg to call her and with every ring of the phone her heart jumped but it was not the call she was waiting for.  Finally she said she went outside to run and as she was running the old song she remembered from church came into her mind.  She started singing, "I surrender all, I surrender all, all to the my blessed saviour, I surrender all."  She ran and sang at the top of her lungs just feeling the surrender and allowing herself to let go of the outcome.  In a while someone came out and told her she had a phone call.  Yes, it was the all she had been waiting for and she did get the part in the movie. 
This is a wonderful story because we really can't really push the universe but we can get in the flow and surrender and allow things to come to us.  I have a note written on a card that I see every day that says, "I am responsible for the effort, God is responsible for the outcome."  Whenever I think I have to make something happen in my life, I see it as I want it to be and try to remember these great lessons.  Do the best you can and then let it go.  It is amazing what can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment