Saturday, March 12, 2011

Connections

I have always heard that when a butterfly flaps its wings in Japan you can feel it in the U.S. Yesterday when I heard about the Tsumani in Japan and the Earthquake I felt the discomfort in my insides.  I was uneasy when I awakened and did not know why until I heard on the news about the tragedies in Japan.  The world is definitely connected and the traumas that others feel is passed on to many in the world.  Especially since we have so much information these days.  We know what is happening around the world in an instant and if you are sensitive to what is going on around you it willl affect you.
I have been so sad about what is happening in Juarez, Mexico.  It is two miles from my home and at one time we had a business there and traveled safely every day to work there.  Today it is one of the most dangerous cities in the world.  They say that the violence has not spilled into neighboring El Paso but we cannot help but be affected when our friends and neighbors are in such danger.
Sometimes I think it would be easier to live is a cabin in the mountains and not get the news, but that would also deprive me of the great resources of information I receive on a daily basis.  I think it really shows the importance of finding that still, calm place within to relax and remove all stress and pressure.  The more tragedy that we see in the world the more we are driven to find solace within.  I believe it is our responsibility to create the peace we want to see in the world.  If it is really important to us then we become that in everything we do.  We may not be able to stop the earthquakes or tsumanis or the violence around us but we are connected and we can be the peace we want to see in the world.
As the song says, "Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me, let there be peace on earth the peace that was meant to be, with God as our father family all are we, let us walk with each other in perfect harmony, let peace begin with me let this be the moment now, with every breath I take let this be my common vow.  To take each moment and live each moment with peace eternally.  Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."   Let us all lift up those in other areas who are experiencing tragedy and sadness and build a better world together.   After all we are all connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment