Monday, February 21, 2011

Rise Above

This particular morning I awakened at 2:30 and could not go back to sleep.  It is amazing how big problems seem during the night when you can't really do anything about them.  I snuggled into my bed feeling the comfort of the pillow and tried to relax but sleep would not come.  Perhaps the anxiety of getting up at 4:00 am for a 6:00 flight was part of the problem.  I watched the clock as the minutes slowly passed and finally got up at 3:45.

There is nothing quite like a flight across country to give you an different perspective.  As the plane took off and we began to rise, the view changed and so did my thoughts.  It is hard to stay mired down in the details when your view changes.  As I looked out the window of the plane, things that were big started to shrink and all of a sudden the largest buildings became nothing more than a dot on the map.  I was looking at a sea of clouds all white andpuffy with a pale blue sky above.  I no longer saw the things that crept into my thoughts during the night and stole my sleep.

I think this is what is meant by rising above your problems.  Just allow yourself to get a different altitude or perspective and solutions to any problem willl begin to appear.  I remember hearing about the experiences that the astronauts have had when the go into space.  Many of their lives are changed forever by merely seeing things differently.  I read about one may who said he saw the connectedness of all things when he viewed the earth from space. 

It doesn't necessarily mean that the problems are gone but with the confidence and courage of a new perspective I am certain I will have better results.

1 comment:

  1. Nese ...

    What a delight to read! I'll look forward to it every day!

    ReplyDelete