Tuesday, February 14, 2023

I Can't Be Against

 Things appear to be in turmoil in our world today.  People seem to be divided by race, political party, liberalism or conservatism on and on and on.  I have found that it is difficult for me to listen to the news since each network has it's own views and considers the other channels or networks to be wrong.

If you believe in individual rights you are on one side and the other side wants more government taking care of us all. I think there are times that both are true.  There are definitely things that we depend upon our government to do for us such as national security.  Even so I don't want the government controlling or dictating my health care. So why do we spend so much time disagreeing?  Why can't we have some things right and others wrong and still be friends realizing that we mostly agree.  

I was speaking with a friend who seems to take what I think is a radical side on issues and talks about how terrible and how awful things are today and that we are doomed.  I told her that I don't think either side is totally true.  There are many positions that have fact base information and yet they are easily distorted based on the individual opinion of who is presenting the information.  

When I listen to these opinion/facts I know that I need to run them through my own personal filter to see if they ring true for me rather than take them as fact immediately.  I also believe that  my friends and family  do good things and I know from personal experience that most people are gentle, loving and kind.  My grandchildren and their friends are smart and respectful and I believe that they will care for me and the world we live in perhaps even better than we have.  

One time I attended a workshop and the speaker told us how important it is for us to take in information without making a decision whether we agree or disagree.  That point of view was quite freeing for me.  So today I am deciding and look at the things I can agree with or not but I refuse to be AGAINST.  IT DOESN'T SERVE ME WELL TO SPEND MY ENERGY BEING AGAINST ANYTHING.    I will not go along with everything so I may not be for everything but being against takes a lot more energy than I am will to expend.




No comments:

Post a Comment