Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The Sound of Silence

Each day since the quarantine I have tried to spend time outside in my back yard.  It is very quiet and pretty and as I focus on the quiet it seems that all is well in the world.  I hear the doves cooing and occasionally hear a dog bark or a door slam or a car driving down the road.  And yet, where I am all is quite perfect. 

The trees are fully leafed out and plants are beginning to bloom with the new life of spring.  It is very important for me to spend this time outside and gather the perspective of that balance in my life.

Six and a half years ago I had West Nile Virus and spent 56 days in the hospital.  It was probably much like the Covid-19 since all the doctors could do was to treat the most urgent failing of my body.  There was no treatment even with the diagnosis and as parts of my body began to fail all attention was focused on treating that organ as best they could.  The diagnosis was not good and the doctors tried to prepare my family for pending death or mental or physical disability. 

Thank goodness my family and friends held strong and through their faith and prayers I began to recover.  Just this week I read notes that my husband sent out to friends to keep them updated.  He told them "She is home now, very weak and fragile but home.  After 35 days in ICU, 17 in a coma we will have a long recovery and rehabilitation in front of us. The doctors have said it will be months or maybe a year before she recovers but spirits are high and she is so determined that I think she will surprise the doctors again.  It has only been in the last few days that Nese realized how sick she was and what a close call she had.  What a tough lady she is.  She knows and we all know that without the love, support and prayers from all our friends and family things might have been different.  We are so grateful for all."

This has been on my mind so much lately and I am reassured that our basic immune systems have so much to do with our vulnerability in the face of this new virus.  I remember asking Bobby why I got so sick since I was actually very healthy.  His answer was that because I was healthy I lived.  Wow!

As we face this pandemic it is more important than ever to have faith and stay as healthy as we can.  Take your vitamins, zinc, quinine and anything you can to boost your immune system.  My mother  used to say "THIS TOO SHALL PASS" and I think it is imperative for each of us to stay strong and encourage our friends and neighbors.  Spend time in quiet and in nature.  Stay safe and realize that you are stronger than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment