Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year

This is the last day of 2013 and I can't say I am sorry to see it end.  What I had planned to be a special year of many celebrations turned out to be a year of time in the hospital and long recovery.  On Sept. 3, I want into the hospital with West Nile Virus and was there for 52 days.

I had been planning my 70th birthday celebration with some of my close girl friends on September 13, but was in a coma in intensive care instead.  I had been planning to retire from my job with the Alzheimer's Association on December 1, and had several retirement events planned leading up to that date that had to be changed.  My husband and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary on December 26, and had planned a big party to celebrate but that had to be cancelled also.  What I had thought would be a season of celebration became a time of rebuilding, recuperating and recovering from the illness.  Rather than dancing away the night at the anniversary party I am learning to stand  and walk again.

So for 2014, I want to be healthy once again, to be able to do things for myself and to drive.  I am so grateful that I am recovering and that I have my cognitive abilities and can function.  I want to make people more aware of West Nile Virus and the dangers that mosquitos can bring.  My desire is to support others in need just as so many have supported me during my illness.  To be able to bring peace and joy into the lives of those around me and to be loving in all that I do.

Today I celebrate life and the opportunity to be here with my family and friends.  Happy New Year to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment