Friday, April 8, 2011

Compromise

I have just been listening to the television reports regarding the impending government shut down.  Our government is set up so that at least two sides of an issue are represented in the process and yet there are many times we feel that the citizens are forgotten the political process looms so large.

Compromise is an important part of any relationship.  How boring would it be if we never had to negotiate or be willing to give up on something we want in order to find a common ground.  I have found that in my relationships when I am willing to give in on having my way, it usually brings me much greater benefit in the long run.  I see people who don't have children or have not married and I wonder if it is more difficult to learn to give in if you don't have anyone who is more important to please than yourself.  I don't mean that in a judgemental way I just think it must be harder.  I learned to compromise because I truly valued my husband's or my children's well being over my own.  It became a natural process. 

I see compromise as give and take.  I am willing to give in because I know if there is something important for me that others in my life will give in equally.  The process is important and will sustain a relationship.  I hope that our leaders in Washington are willing to give and take and compromise to protect the freedom of our great nation.  It is really the only way to continue to move our nation forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment