Saturday, March 5, 2011

Who Are You?

Many years ago when I was a young mother and wife I had a doctor ask me who I was.  I told him I was a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, friend, on and on.  He said no, who are you?  I only knew who I was in relationship to others and had not thought about who I truly was.  He told me to go home and come back in a week and tell him who I was.  That was one of the hardest assignments I had experienced at that time. 

I went home and cried because I didn't know how to answer him.  I thought about the question every day and still so much of my life was spent complimenting the others in my life that I could not come up with a good answer.  I had a hard time thinking of myself as an individual.  However, as I reflect back on that time and the question posed to me I am grateful that at such an early age I was confronted with such an important question. 

Today I am able answer that question with the clarity of age.  I am a spiritual being having a physical experience.  I am the manifestation of God on earth since I am made in the image of God.  I am love and compassion.  I am peace and comfort.  I am a strong woman with all the frailties that life brings but I am also secure in the wisdom of a life lived on purpose. 

We really aren't free to be ourselves until we can answer that question.   So I ask you,  "Who are you?"  Spend some time in reflection and find your answers.  No one else can answer this for you.  Only you.

No comments:

Post a Comment