Monday, March 7, 2011

Acceptance

I have learned whatever state I am in, therein to be content.  This is a line from the Bible that I love.  Oh my, if I could only live by that thought every day.  There are times that I am content and I know the joy of that state of being but it is so easy to get off track and be discontent depending upon the situations around me.

Part of being content is accepting things as they are.  In the AA Big Book it talks about acceptance being the answer to any problem.  In fact the Serenity Prayer goes as follows:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.   

What a beautiful prayer.  After all, there is peace in accepting the things we can't change and we can't change them anyway or we would have already done it.  The courage to change the things I can is just that extra ounce of energy put toward something you know could change and you are willing to do it.  And the wisdom, oh that ever allusive wisdom, to know when you have no power over it and are willing to accept things as they are.  My father was a peaceful man and I saw that wisdom in him.  We actually see in people all around us who move through life with a smile of content and bring that to all in their presence.   

No comments:

Post a Comment