Monday, February 14, 2011

Baldy

The beautiful picture you see is of Sierra Blanca in the southern Rocky Mountains of New Mexico.  Elevation at the peak is 12,001 ft.  It is home to the southernmost ski area in the United States.  I grew up beneath the shadow of that mountain.   As a child I remember looking up at the mountain to see if everything was okay.  We called the mountain Baldy and felt a real sense of security as we noted all the changes on the mountain.  The summer green changed to the gold of fall as the trees changed color.  We watched for the first snowfall predicting the winter to come.  The heavy snows were ice blue as the snow reflected the bright blue sky under the sunshine then to turn green again as spring approached.

I can still smell the pine trees as they rustled in the wind feeling a sense of peace and calm.  The whispering pines and noisy water of the Rio Ruidoso were my home.  It is comforting to commune with nature and feel the wonders of the Masters hand at work.  I found that the small community,  the beautiful surroundings and the strong people provided the foundation for the rest of my life.  I had the benefit of the mountain's majesty under the wide open spaces and know that no matter where I go those things will follow me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment