Monday, February 1, 2016

Forgiveness

I had a good friend who meant a lot to me.  However, when she and her husband divorced we continued to remain friends with him and I lost touch with her.  Sadly she died twelve years ago and I had not seen her for several years.

Last year I was able to get in touch with her adult daughter and son and it was such a sweet reunion.  I remember when they were born and our families were very close at that time.  I told the daughter that I try not to have regrets in life but I do regret not keeping in touch with her mother and continuing our relationship.  She told me that her mother had been angry about the loss of our friendship and I felt badly about that.  

It has been such a pleasure to have my friend's children back in my life and I believe we are all blessed to know each other at this stage in our lives.  They are so nice and it makes my heart happy to know them once again.

The regrets about their mother continued to hang over me but I knew there was nothing I could do and I "can't should have done it" differently.

Last night I had a dream that my friend came back to life.  She and her daughter were at a movie and my daughter and I went to the same movie and when we sat down they were right next to us.  I turned to hug my friend but she turned her head, crossed her arms and ignored me.   I reached down to hug her and told her I loved her and that one of my lifetime regrets was that I had not made the effort to continue our friendship.   She looked up at me with tears in her eyes and reached out to hug me.  She smiled and said all was forgiven.

What feelings of pure joy we both had.  I guess I never realized that even after death, forgiveness can happen.  This was quite an experience for me and I am so grateful for the dream and the feelings of relief and forgiveness.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment