Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Viewpoint

I was visiting with one of my grandsons tonight and he asked me about the Ku Klux Klan.  His question was whether they were illegal.  He is in 5th grade and they were discussing this in his class at school.  He said his teacher mentioned KKK and he didn't know what that was until she said Ku Klux Klan, then he was able to connect it to KKK.  It is interesting looking at something through the eyes of a child.  We assume that they understand so much and yet if we really want to communicate clearly we will stay away from colloquialisms, slang phrases and abbreviations. 

I was interested in his viewpoint since they were discussing this in class.  He felt that athe KKK was not illegal merely by their words unless they did something to harm another.  There are so many injustices in the world and desire as we may to protect our children, it is important for them to understand that violence and injustice exists in the world so they will be equiped to deal with it.  At this age it is important to reason with the child and help them to come to a good decision on their own.  It is also important for me to listen and open my mind to a different viewpoint and awareness. 

Just as we all see the world through different lenses we all have the right to our opinions and thoughts about life.  One of the most important learnings for me was that I had a right to my own opinion and did not have to believe something just because someone else thought I should.  I hope I can pass that on to my grandchildren.   

No comments:

Post a Comment