Sunday, March 20, 2011

Joy

I spent time with two of my granchildren this weekend.  First I took my grand-daughter shopping.  She tried on clothes and I bought her everything she wanted.  Three pairs of shoes, five shirts, two pairs of pants and she was smiling from ear to ear.  I didn't even look at the prices because I wanted the freedom of enjoying the moment.  Of course she is only eight so her things were not expensive.  I don't know if she enjoyed it nearly as much as I did but there was great pleasure for me.

We went bowling last night and had such a fun time.  None of us were very good but we laughed and enjoyed each other.  It is important for me to laugh and have fun because I tend to be serious.  Today we went to the movies to see Gnomeo and Juliet.  It was produced by Elton John and the music was wonderful.  It was delightful and didn't end in the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet.  As all children's movies should, it ended "happily ever after."  When we walked out of the movie the sun was shining and there was a light breeze.  A beautiful day for the first day of spring. 

I noticed that my heart felt lighter and I could feel the freshness of spring.  I try to pay attention to what is happening when I feel something.  Today I felt joy.  I wondered to myself what caused those feelings.  I think it is from being with the children.  They are so spontaneous and present that they laugh a lot and that laughter is contagious. 

I notice that I have more energy and I just feel good all over.  I will carry these feelings with me as I go to work tomorrow and hopefully I will bring joy and laughter to those around me.  We all have the opportunity to spend time doing things that bring us joy but many times we don't give those things the time they deserve. Treat yourself to some child time.  If you don't have children around then just look at the world the way a child does with wonder.  Notice the first buds of spring, the hint of green on the trees and the sounds of birds.  Enjoy.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment